For my first D.I.Y. post (Do It Yourself), I thought I'd share how to make you're very own Silhouette Canvas Wall Art
This is probably one of the easiest and cheapest art pieces you can replicate yourself. Even if you have to buy all of the supplies it won't cost more than $10.
What You'll Need:
- Canvas, I used a canvas panel (similar)
- Acrylic Paint in color of your choice
- Scrapbook Paper in patter of your choice
- Mod Podge or any paper glue
- Foam Paintbrush
- Silhouette printout
1) Make your animal silhouette. Simply google the name of the silhouette shape you want, ie, deer silhouette, pineapple silhouette, etc. Paste your desired image into a word document, enlarge to your desire size and print! Cut out your shape to use as a template. tip: image quality isn't important and you may need to tape together a couple of pages to get it large enough for your desired canvas.
2) Pick out the printed paper you'll be using and select a color paint accordingly.
3) Gather the rest of your supplies
4) On the backside of your scrapbook paper, trace the animal silhouette from step 1. Make sure your pattern is facing the right way
5) Cut out the shape you traced. If your silhouette is your silhouette shape is larger than the paper, like mine was, you can just match up the pattern on the paper to extend the shape. If you line it up right it is not noticeable.
6) Flip you shape over and make sure you like the way it looks.
7) Paint your canvas the color you picked. To get a nice solid color it is going to take several coats. for my navy blue it took about 5 coats. Acrylic paint dries very quickly though so it doesn't take long to do coats. hint: use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.
8)Take a clean foam brush and paint on a light layer of mod podge to the backside of your silhouette. hint: the less glue you use the easier step 9 will be
9) Canter your silhouette shape and smooth out any wrinkles and bubbles. Add any extra glue to edges that may be rolling up or you may have missed.
I also made some pineapple ones for a friend and a cute little pooch that is already up on my wall!